The Chaos Insurgency are a small defector group of the SCP Foundation that appear in the game.
The group is a covert special task force formed by the SCP Foundation, first known under the codename of "Insurgency", and was part of the Foundation. Unbeknownst to the Foundation, Insurgency had been operating under the guise of Foundation defectors. The Foundation was alerted to this when Insurgency attacked multiple SCP facilities, stole multiple SCP objects and evacuated Foundation defectors. The O5 Council, the Council responsible for the creation of Insurgency, was in shock after hearing that their covert black ops team had defected, under its new name, "Chaos Insurgency", as it is known today.
The Chaos Insurgency, unlike the Foundation who easily "store" their SCPs, would like to utilize the artifacts, most likely as weapons or as torture devices. The Insurgency also wants to take down the SCP Foundation for its "lies", possibly by unleashing multiple Euclid and Keter-class SCPs, and has provoked the Foundation on multiple occassions. The Chaos Insurgency has access to a more limited number of SCPs than the Foundation, but are willing to use them without restriction.
In one of the the Gate A's endings, where you've managed to escape the MTFs by escaping under the bridge, 4 mysterious soldiers will appear at the end of the dark tunnel. Looking in the way they talk, it is speculated that these 4 soldiers are members of the Chaos Insurgency, capturing you to know the secrets, and outline of the SCP Foundation. After that, the game ends.
- 4 (one is behind the middle) members will appear at Gate A, capturing you
- "You know too much to let them get you. You're coming with us."
- It is theorized that Dr. Maynard is a spy working for the Chaos Insurgency and that he helped them start the containment breach. Support for this notion comes from the ominous note found inside his office, reading: "YOU MADE IT SO EASY, NICE WORK FOUNDATION.", by the monitor inside his office and by some conversations that mentions that Dr. Maynard, for example stating he was a new entry in the Foundation and was pretty able to do his work.
- This could be the reason SCP-106 captured him, because he was a spy.
- It is theorized that Dr. Maynard could have given SCP-079 the full access to the system of the Site. Support for this notion comes from the monitor in SCP-079's control room saying "you have control now"
- Chaos Insurgency Pictures are based on the famous U.S.S Soldier, known as HUNK from the Resident Evil series.
- The Chaos Insurgency are very similar to the Hazardous Environment Combat Unit (HECU) from the Half-Life series. They were dispatched at the Black Mesa Research Facility to repel an alien attack and regain control of the facility. Like the Chaos Insurgency, the HECU were ordered to shoot Black Mesa personnel on-sight from an unseen and unnamed higher-up.